Sunday 25 November 2012

How to Become an Achiever

Have you ever felt like you were wasting too much time? Procrastinating? Pushing all your work to near deadline date. Cramming for exams, midterms, rushing 2000-words essays, assignments... Well, I can tell you that you're not alone. We can both relate to this frustrating problem we've been facing for as long as we've been in school.

I, too, used to procrastinate like a procrastinating addict. I was too lazy to do anything. Pushing all works to the end and all that fun stuff. But, living through those times then actually improving yourself... I've also experienced. Here, I can provide you with a 4-step quick read about how I came to this enlightenment to motivate myself.

First and most important, you must realize what you want in life. Like really, what do you want in life? I know this may sound stupid and a waste of time. But, really, it's one of the most important steps. This will create the foundation of your motivation. This should be what will drive you do to get what you want as soon as possible. I, myself, want to become financially independent and move out of my parents house. And this is what gave me the wake up call I needed. This is my goal.

Second, you must map out exactly how you want to get there. Since you know where you are now (PhD in Procrastination) and you should know where you want to be (ie. financial independence, Grade "A" student). So how will you get there? All you have to do is list down the things that you have to do to get there. A grade "A" might say, start all assignments the day of, study a minimum of 20 hours per week, read 1-2 chapters of the textbook per week or assigned reading, attend to class every time (never miss one intentionally) and always be one step ahead of the class. In my case, what I would do to become financially independent, save 80% of all income, don't spend money recklessly, invest my income in GIC accounts in the bank, blogging (work hard enough to generate
a steady income), graduate in Accountancy from University, apply for an accountancy job and freelance as an accountant. And this is what your map should be like. It's basically a long-term to-do list.

Third, you need a fool proof safety. What this is, is that you need to make sure you are following your map. Because we know a long drive might be really tiring. So, you need a "passenger" that will keep you doing what you must be doing. Those passengers are called rewards and punishments. A reward would be letting yourself have a day or moment of cool down. A reward can only be acquired once you've completed or currently doing really well on your to-do list. Example of a reward would be letting yourself have as much fun as you can because you probably deserved it such as going out with friends, have a party, basically celebrate your current success, but don't overdo it. If you fail to succeed in your to-do list, you must create a punishment for yourself such as no going out in the weekend, no TV, no playing games on the computer and so on.

Lastly, once you've completed everything on your to-do list or you've simply moved on from that stage of your life, you can go back to the first step and recreate new goals and acquire new things in your life. I believe this works because its as simple as

By Kevin Umale

No comments:

Post a Comment