Sunday 25 November 2012

How to Get a Job Selling Cars

I spent most of my 45 year career in the car business, first as a salesperson, then a leasing manager, sales trainer and general sales manager. Over that time, I interviewed and hired hundreds of salespeople. Within this article, I will share what I looked for in candidates and what traits were absolutely necessary in someone before I would hire them. The car business can be a wonderful and financially rewarding career if you get it right. Here are my best "Top 10 Tips" for getting hired.

Although this article refers to the car business, if I were interviewing and hiring for any other serious selling or servicing position, very little, if any advice given here would change.

Tip #1: Display plenty of passion, not for cars, but for serving people's needs. I didn't care if someone told me they liked cars or not. My primary concern was always that my customers were served at the highest levels. This would always result in selling many more vehicles. Beyond your product knowledge, your passion for vehicles has no value to your customers.

Tip #2: Research your prospective employer. When you know things about the business you wish to work for, interviewers are impressed that you took time to research the company. It shows you care about someone other than yourself.

Tip #3: Research the products you wish to sell. This is along the same line as the above point. It shows constructive effort on your part and shows interviewers that you are capable of learning. Get online and learn the product line up. Preparedness will often be rewarded with a job offer.

Tip #4: Remember, job experience isn't necessarily a prerequisite. In the car business, there are plenty of under-achievers that drift from one dealership to another. As a sales manager, I regularly hired passionate people who were brand new to the industry. They didn't have loads of bad habits to unlearn. A lot of managers
I have known have felt the same way. Don't be discouraged if you have no previous experience.

Tip #5: Don't wait for an ad to appear. Hiring new people by advertising a position can be costly and time-consuming. I ran large sales teams in major dealerships, yet I rarely ran an ad for salespeople. I always had a couple of qualified candidates that I could call on to bring on board when the need arose.

Tip #6: Polish up your appearance. Despite the more casual nature in today's business environment, it will pay you to present yourself in the most professional manner possible. Remember, it isn't about you, it's always about your customer. Chances are, if you have visible tattoos up the side of your head or lip and nose rings, most professionally run car dealerships will pass on you. It isn't necessarily personal, it is usually just good business.

Tip #7: Hand deliver your resume addressed personally to the sales manager in a sealed envelop and include a quality current picture of yourself. Managers often receive dozens of resumes. The picture will help make you memorable. Hey, any edge is a good edge, right? Hand delivered means it will get to the person you want to see it.

Tip #8: Remember courtesy and good manners. These traits seem to be in short supply for many people these days. Discourteous behavior and poor manners during the interview process has cost applicants countless opportunities. Never lose an opportunity because of careless behavior.

Tip #9: Leave your cell phone out of any interview situation. I have terminated interviews permanently when cells have gone off during the process and applicants have actually been dumb enough to answer them. This is the ultimate rude behavior when applying for a position.


By Jim Masson

No comments:

Post a Comment